The policy sets out the different areas where user privacy is concerned and outlines the obligations & requirements of the users, the website and website owners. Furthermore the way this website processes, stores and protects user data and information will also be detailed within this policy.
This website and its owners take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. This website complies to all UK national laws and requirements for user privacy.
Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computers hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website. Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Contact & Communication
Users contacting this website and/or its owners do so at their own discretion and provide any such personal details requested at their own risk. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until a time it is no longer required or has no use, as detailed in the GDPR. Every effort has been made to ensure a safe and secure form to email submission process but advise users using such form to email processes that they do so at their own risk.
This website and its owners use any information submitted to provide you with further information about the products / services they offer or to assist you in answering any questions or queries you may have submitted.
This includes using your details to subscribe you to any email newsletter program the website operates but only if this was made clear to you and your express permission was granted when submitting any form to email process. Or whereby you the consumer have previously purchased from or enquired about purchasing from the company a product or service that the email newsletter relates to. This is by no means an entire list of your user rights in regard to receiving email marketing material. Your details are not passed on to any third parties.
Although this website only looks to include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout this website. (External links are clickable text / banner / image links to other websites, similar to; Folded Book Art or Used Model Trains For Sale.)
The owners of this website cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite their best efforts. Users should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.
Adverts and Sponsored Links
This website may contain sponsored links and adverts. These will typically be served through our advertising partners, to whom may have detailed privacy policies relating directly to the adverts they serve.
Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that this website and its owners participate on are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate / engage upon them with due care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal details. This website nor its owners will ever ask for personal or sensitive information through social media platforms and encourage users wishing to discuss sensitive details to contact them through primary communication channels such as by telephone or email.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Shortened Links in Social Media
This website and its owners through their social media platform accounts may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media platforms shorten lengthy urls [web addresses] (this is an example: http://bit.ly/zyVUBo).
Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened urls published on social media platforms by this website and its owners. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine urls are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
Collecting your personal information
We collect certain types of personal information from you. This means any information which might identify you – it does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). This includes:
- Contact Information (Your name, email address, postal address, phone number and any other relevant information we need in order to contact or identify you)
- Financial Data (Your bank account and payment details in relation to services you receive from Breeze)
- Energy Supply Data (data related to how long we have supplied you for, details about your meter, tariff, and usage.
- Special categories of data (If applicable, we may ask for information on health and financial vulnerability in order to include you on the Priority Services register).
This data is collected when you sign up with us, and when you get in contact with us or use or website. This information is collected by us and our agents (e.g. meter readings). We may also monitor and record communications with you, including phone calls and emails, for quality and training purposes.
Using Your personal information
We only use this information where we are legally allowed to, typically under one or more of the following circumstances:
- To fulfil the contract we have or will have with you.
- Where it is necessary for the running of our business and providing the best possible service to you.
- Where we must comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
- For any other purposes where you have agreed to us using your personal data (we do not use your data for marketing purposes).
Disclosing your personal information
We may allow the following types of organisations to use personal information for the purposes set out in the section ‘Using your personal information’, including:
- Service providers who provide meter reading and maintenance services, industry data collection and aggregation, and IT / Systems administration services
- Debt collection agencies: For more information on how we may use these agencies, please see our Terms and Conditions .
- Professional advisers such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers providing services to us.
- Regulators and other authorities based in the UK who we are obliged to report to in certain circumstances.
- Other energy providers: When switching to us, we may ask your previous energy supplier for information about you that will allow us to take over your supply (e.g. meter readings, meter technical details). If you switch away from Breeze, we may provide similar information to your new supplier to assist in processing your switch to them.
Third parties who process data on our behalf won’t use personal data for their own purposes, and only do so in accordance with our instructions and all relevant laws.
Priority Services Register
If we believe you or a member of your household need assistance under the Priority Services Register, and you give us your explicit consent to do so, we may record and share this information with the following people to ensure your supply isn’t interrupted and to ensure you receive the assistance you need:
- Other energy suppliers if we believe you are considering changing supplier;
- An outsourced service company that manages a wide range of energy industry data interactions on our behalf;
- The electricity distributor; and
- The relevant gas transporter, metering agents or network operator
The table below shows some more information about how we process your data. We and our agents may use your personal info to:
|Activity||Type of data||Legal basis|
Provide services to you including:
Registering you as a customer
Adding you to the Priority Services Register, if relevant and consented to by you.
Payments and billing
Internal processing related to providing our services.
Special categories of Data
Fulfilling our contract to you.
Necessary for running our business and providing services to you (e.g. payments and debt collection)
Your consent (for using special categories of data)
|Creating internal reports and analysis for forecasting and data analysis purposes||
Usage Data and Data related to your energy supply
Special categories of Data
|Necessary for us to run our business (to develop our products, grow our business and analyse our strategy)|
|Staff training||Contact Data and records of communication with us||Necessary for us to run our business and train our staff to provide you with the best service available.|
|Data analytics to improve our website, products, and customer experiences||
|Necessary for us to run our business by keeping our website updated and relevant|
|To administer our business and to manage and protect our website/systems (including data analysis, testing, system maintenance and support)||
Special Categories of Data
Necessary for us to run our business by keeping our IT services running and secure.
Necessary to comply with legal regulations.
Protecting and retaining your personal information
We follow strict security procedures to protect your personal information, including identity checks when you contact us.
We strongly advise you not to share your Breeze Energy login details with anyone, and to log out of your account when you are finished.
We only retain your personal information as long as necessary for the reason we collected it, including any legal requirements. The retention period we use depends on the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information in question, as well as the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of this information. Please contact us if you would like to know more about our retention periods. In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal information and retain it indefinitely.
Your legal rights
You have rights in relation to your personal information.
- Access: You can request a copy of the personal information we hold on you.
- Correction: You can request that we chance any personal information we hold on you that is incorrect.
- Erasure: You can ask us to delete your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Object to or restrict processing of personal information: You may object to our processing of personal data in certain circumstances.
- Transfer: You can ask use to provide you, or a third party you choose, with your personal information.
- Portability: You have the right to request your personal information that you have provided us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. For example, this may be meter or usage data to allow you to better compare the deals that are available to you. You also have the right to request that we transmit this data directly to another data controller.
- Withdrawal of consent: You can withdraw your consent for us to use your personal information where we no longer rely on it. If you do this, we may not be able to provide certain products and services to you. We’ll advise you if this is the case.
- Rights related to automated decision making: Our systems use automated checks based on the address information you provide us to ensure we can supply your area and type of meter. If you would like to know more about this process, or would like to object to or appeal against any decision of this type, please contact us. We carry out regular checks to make sure these automated systems are working as intended.
Please contact us to exercise any of these rights. You are able to do this free of charge however if you make unfounded, repetitive, or excessive requests we may charge you to carry these out or refuse to carry out further requests. We aim to respond to all requests within one month. More complex or repeated requests may take longer to complete.
Data Protection Officer
If you have any questions or would like to make a complaint, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Data Protection Officer, Breeze Energy Supply Ltd, Dobson House, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 3PF
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can contact them by visiting their website, phoning them on 0303 123 1113, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.
Resources & Further Information
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 – The Guide
- Web Design Wales