Here’s some information about Gas Safety.

Gas Safety

If you smell gas or think you may have a gas leak, the first thing you should do is make yourself safe, meaning:
• Don’t smoke or light matches/cigarette lighters
• Don’t use light switches or turn anything electrical on or off, including mobile phones
• Put out all naked flames
• Open all doors and windows
• Turn off the gas supply at the meter (if you can)
Then call the National Gas Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 for further instructions. You should also call this number if none of your gas appliances are working, as there may be a problem.
We recommend getting your gas appliances serviced once a year by an engineer who is on the Gas Safe Register. If you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord should provide you with a Gas Safety Certificate showing which appliances have been checked and when.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a dangerous gas that can be produced by faulty gas appliances or in rooms with poor ventilation. It is odourless and colourless, so we recommend using a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home. We recommend using a detector that makes a sound when it detects the gas, so that it can wake you up if necessary. A detector is a safeguard but not a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances.
You should also be aware of the following signs that carbon monoxide may be present:
• Evidence of soot, stains, or discolouration near gas appliances like boilers, gas fires, or water heaters
• Poor ventilation – blocked air vents, blocked chimney flues
• Yellow or orange rather than blue flames in gas appliances
• Headaches, nausea, dizziness, or flu-like symptoms- if you believe you are experiencing these symptoms seek medical attention immediately
For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning visit the NHS or telephone NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
If you think there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home, make yourself safe and call the National Gas Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.
Where to seek advice if your appliance fails a gas safety check
The engineer who performs your safety check will determine if your appliance is unsafe, explain why, and record this in writing. If an appliance fails a check, a red warning notice will be placed on it- by law, no one except a Gas Safe Register engineer can remove this. The engineer will advise you on how your appliance can be repaired if condemned. For more information visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk